Tuesday, May 13: 1Samuel 21- We are filled with mixed motives.

David was a man who was ‘street wise.’ On the lamb and running from Saul, David turns to people who can help, but he doesn’t stay with them. In this case neither is he truthful. This always troubles me. Scripture is clear that we are to be truthful and not lie, yet David lies to both save his skin and, I suspect, to protect the priest as well. The story David gives to Ahimelech is plausible, giving Ahimelech an alibi should the king learn of this incident and question him.

Quite honestly, I am not sure how to process this.

The narrative is certainly not teaching us that it is ok to lie to get oneself out of trouble and yet, that is what David does.

As I sit, the Lord seems to remind me that everyone of us is filled with mixed motives. Faithfulness to the Lord drives part of our decision-making and so does our sinfulness. Which part is which in this narrative I am not quite sure. As I look at my life I am not always sure as well. Mixed motives run deep.

All of these thoughts drive me to the cross and thankfulness that the Lord God knows all this and provided a way out from under my own sin and guilt.

Lord, my heart’s sorrow for my sin and the hurt it caused You and others…

My heart is at the same time, forever grateful for the forgiveness that You provide.

Praise and thanks to You Lord God –Father, Son and Holy Spirit. To You and in Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment