Tuesday, May 6: 1Samuel 15- Disobedience.

Someone said, “Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” Power certainly corrupted Saul.

Saul changes God’s straightforward instruction to suit himself and/or because he feared his men, depending on one’s inference from the text. Either way Saul dishonored the Lord by not following God’s instructions as given.

This was Saul’s third strike. His true nature was now revealed. With his disloyalty confirmed God ripped His blessing and eventually the kingdom from Saul this day (22ff).

How important is obedience? Listen to Samuel’s words (22-23):

“Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much

as in obeying the LORD?

To obey is better than sacrifice,

and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

For rebellion is like the sin of divination,

and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. …”

As I typed these words my thoughts flew to all the things I know from Scripture and how at times I disregard them, choosing instead to do what I want.

Maybe not to the degree of Saul, but nonetheless I teeter on the edge of rebellion when I do what I know God would not want for me to do or I do not do what God would have me do!

The wonder of grace and mercy and forgiveness, thanks to Jesus, now floods my thoughts even as failures filled my thoughts moments ago!

I pray as the church has prayed for centuries…

Most Merciful God, I confess that I have sinned against You in thought, word and deed, by what I have done and by what I have left undone. I have not loved You with my whole heart and mind and strength. I have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. I am truly sorry and humbly repent. For the sake of Your Son, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me and forgive my sins; that I might delight in Your will and walk in Your ways to the glory of Your Holy Name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment