Thursday, May 29: 2Samuel 4- Heartless.

It is tough to have a devotional moment in today’s reading. History is not always kind. People can and do horrible things. These two men were the worst kind of bounty hunters. They killed an unsuspecting, innocent man in his home and brought his head to David thinking that they would get a reward. There was no honor in their deed. None.

David’s reward was their execution.

This was a rough time in history. Remember God’s ‘eye for an eye’ rule was given to curb revenge and escalating violence.

I am thankful that I live in a more civil time, not a better time.  People are still as corrupt of heart now as was then, but there is more civility in our land where the rule of law –as imperfect as it is- exists.

All of these musings cause me to realize how heartless and selfish the human heart is. When the Paul says, there is no one righteous, not even one (Romans 3:10) he is absolutely correct.

And this led me to give thanks to the Lord for the righteousness He provides in Jesus. Without God’s righteousness, I would be doomed to hell and eternal separation from God through eternity. And without the power and influence of the Holy Spirit within me as a believer, I could be just as prone to physical, emotional or spiritual violence against other unsuspecting people as those two men were in this chapter…

This is not a pleasant thought… but thanks be to God for Jesus Christ and life in Him.

Lord, thank You for saving grace! Lord, God, thank You for grace to grow and mature in Christ! Lord, thank You for guiding me and directing me. Forgive me for the times I do not listen, these are too numerous to count. Thank You for never giving up on me. Continue to speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening.

I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment