Saturday, May 3: 1Samuel 13- The price of disobedience.

Impatience is the enemy of most of us, certainly it is of me. And when I get impatient, I make poor choices. Such is the case for Saul. Men were deserting; his first command leadership was evaporating before his eyes… so Saul acted.

Unfortunately, he acted from a place of self-interest rather than faith. He offered sacrifices, a forbidden practice, rather than waiting for Samuel the priest. And Saul paid a heavy price for his impatient action. Verse 13: “You have done a foolish thing,” Samuel said. “You have not kept the command the LORD your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time.

When stressed, when a decision is needed, Saul acted from human wisdom rather than seeking the Lord. This screams at me! When impatience rises, when decisions are needed, stop and ask the Lord for help before plodding on…

Lord, I can be so guilty of pushing on… help me to pause, to stop, to pray, to seek You. Slow me down that I might listen to You. This I pray, in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

**A note… I am fascinated at how I heard The Word. I am stressed today about a project I am involved in and clearly my internal stress affected how God used The Word to speak with me this morning. I love the living nature of God’s Word!

Thank You, Lord, for the peace which comes from your ‘not-so-subtle’ reminder to pause, breath and ask You for help in the midst of my stress today. Thank You, Lord, God-Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Thank You. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment