Wednesday, May 7: 1Samuel 16- Waiting.

Rebellion is no small matter. Yesterday we read about Saul’s disobedience, which was tantamount to rebellion against the Lord (recall 15:22-23). Today we read that God had moved on, Saul was rejected and another person was chosen to be king, David, son of Jesse. God had a people to protect and a plan to bring to pass.

What struck me was the amount of time that would have to pass before David could realize God’s call. We live in such an instant society. My initial thought was that if David was anointed why doesn’t he just become king? But things don’t always work that way. Often things take time. Plant a seed and then you have to nurture it before it grows. If it is a crop, it may take a couple of months. If it is a fruit tree it can take a couple of years for it to mature to bear fruit. Some trees take 10’s of years to mature.

David was anointed, but his kingly reign was still years away. Waiting can be hard. But waiting is a fact of life and David, I imagine, had much personal growth and maturing that needed to happen before he was ready to serve God’s people as king…

I wondered what maturing I still needed in order to accomplish God’s Will in the next decades of my life…

Lord, as I look forward to the decades to come, I wonder how You will use me to advance Your kingdom. I wonder, too, how the ways You are growing me will be used in the years to come. Jesus, I offer You all my years, I pray that I can be kingdom useful all the days of my natural life… I pray this in Your name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment