Monday, October 13: 3John 1- Wrestling with media.

I had two pauses as I was reading 3John. The first came early, verse 4: I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. The parent in me shouted, ‘AMEN!’ I love watching my children grow into responsible adults. It gives me joy when I observe them making a difference where they work. But there is no joy that comes even close to the joy I experience watching their faith in Jesus grow stronger. And there is no sadness deeper than watching when they don’t. I place them into the Lord’s hands and trust…

My second pause came with verse 11: Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God. So simple and so true.

Do not imitate what is evil. I first wrestled with the word ‘evil’. Is that evil, as in vile and heinous, or is it that which is not good and wholesome? The more I think about it, the more the latter becomes the better definition.  Biblically behaviors that are good are ‘God-honoring’ and ‘God-pleasing’ so that which is evil is God-dishonoring and displeasing to God.

The next thought I had is that so much of what is on TV these days is God-displeasing… most TV programing portrays as normal lifestyles that are not lived as God would have His children live. This hit me:  Are we the proverbial frog in the water?  If the water is heated slowly enough the frog will cook to death! Yesterday I cleaned my pool skimmer…..a record 10 dead frogs. The chlorine level is perfect for keeping the pool clean but is not good for frogs. And when they stay in it too, long it kills them. In fact all the while they are swimming and having a great time in my pool it is poisoning them.

Is TV poisoning me?

I didn’t expect verse 11 to take me here as I first began meditating…

Lord, are You asking me to change my viewing habits?

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment