Wednesday, October 8: 1John 3- Big Picture.

Big picture wise, John hammers the ‘do not sin card’ pretty strongly throughout this entire chapter. Verse 6 seems to be John’s thesis sentence: No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

I think it is fair to say from prior chapters John is not writing in absolute terms, i.e., that one sin and you are done, out, of the Devil. I say this because forgiveness is available in Jesus, the Righteous One (1John 1:9, 2:1-2). So John must be referring to some kind of willful, continuing sin. And one aspect that he highlights is love for brothers and sisters (10-15, 18).

At this point in my time, listening to the text shifted to meditations on the text.

Was God calling me to consider the manner in which I treat other brothers and sisters in Christ? Yes, that is what resonated throughout my heart.

How do I speak about other believers?

What attitudes do I harbor about other brothers and sisters in Christ, especially brothers or sisters with whom I disagree?

How do I treat brothers and sisters in Christ? Do I help those in need? Do I pray for them? Do I give my life for them as Jesus gave His life for us? Jesus is, after all, our perfect example of love and service. And John readily calls us to live after the example of Jesus. This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth (16-18).

How I treat others, particularly my fellow Christ followers… this is the part of my life that God would have me examine today.

I invite you to join me in this…

Jesus, my eyes can be so closed to others. I can go through life thinking mostly about me.  Forgive me, Lord, and help me to have eyes for others, particularly my sister and brothers in You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment