Saturday, October 25: Revelation 11- Time plays out slowly.

I am chomping at the bit. Where is the seventh trumpet? As I turn the page to chapter 11, I anticipate that the seventh trumpet will sound. But no, it is the story of two prophets, who perform miracles like Elijah and Moses of the Old Testament (no rain and turn water to blood, respectively, plus plagues).

They testify with power, seemingly to no avail. They are martyred spectacularly by the beast and the world gloats and then they are resurrected and return to the Lord even more spectacularly. All of this over 3.5 years.

Now and only now does the end come. The seventh trumpet is blown and “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign for ever and ever” (15).

And the populace of heaven begins praising God saying:

We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign (17).

Note Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was no longer is “He still to come,” as in Rev 4:8.

Jesus has returned, the end has come and judgment has begun!

I found myself pondering the two prophets and the delay in sounding the seventh trumpet. The sixth came two chapters ago. The seventh was announced last chapter and it finally comes halfway through today’s chapter after a 3.5 year interlude.

God’s timing is different than mine. God’s ways are different than mine.

Mine is to trust and obey.

I thought about life; God’s timing isn’t always my timing. Answers to prayer seem to delay. Problems I have prayed about continue…

What I have learned is that I am to trust and obey, and to keep living faithfully as I trust and obey God’s Word.

Lord, faithfulness is my desire; faithfulness to You and for You and to be faithful I must trust You and obey You and Your Word. Help me, Lord, to do this, to live for You even when and especially when Your timing and my timing don’t match.

In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment