Saturday, October 4: Esther 10- What's my legacy?.

Mordecai the Jew was second in rank to King Xerxes, preeminent among the Jews, and held in high esteem by his many fellow Jews, because he worked for the good of his people and spoke up for the welfare of all the Jews (3).

If we are still breathing then the full account of our lives cannot be written. This aside, if an account had to be given today, what would be said of my life or yours?

Mordecai is the unassuming hero of this book. He raises Esther after her parents die. He didn’t sign up to be a parent, yet he accepted the role when it was thrust upon him. And as near as we can tell he did it as a single dad. That’s responsibility!

He spoke up when he could have been silent and looked the other way and no one would ever have known. That’s integrity!

He advised Esther and then later in his life the king as well. That’s wisdom.

From the sounds of chapter 10 he discharged his duties well for a number of years after he rose to prominence. That’s consistency.

The whisper of God came, “What can be said of the legacy you are building, Bill.”

Am I (are you) responsible with the duties and challenges of life that come my (your) way?

Am I a person of integrity in the big things as well as the small things? Are you?

Does the flow and pattern of my life speak to consistency in all areas of my life? How about you?

These are the devotional God-questions that surfaced as I read this brief chapter…

Lord, am I living well and living for You? This is the over riding question of my morning. Your answer is the one that truly matters.

Speak, Lord, your servant is listening… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment