Monday, October 6: 1John 1- Hearing, seeing, experiencing, obeying.

Four words came to mind as I read and re-read this chapter: hearing, seeing, experiencing, and living.

It opens with John declaring that he has heard and seen God’s Son, Jesus Christ. But John goes far beyond simply hearing and seeing.  A fuller, richer word to explain his opening might be that John shares what he experienced. And he invites us, his readers, to experience Jesus, too. Listen to all the verbs he uses:  heard, seen, looked at, and touched. All that in one single verse, verse 1.

All this he proclaims so that we may experience Jesus, too. We experience Him in the fellowship we have with John and with the Father and Son. And when we experience Jesus, John enjoys joy!

But John doesn’t end with experience. Living in the light of Jesus shines truth into our lives and truly experiencing Jesus leads us to live out this truth. And the truth drives us to honesty about how we are living. We recognize our failures and sin and confess them. We lie to ourselves if we do not face up to our sin.

Hearing, seeing, experiencing, and living out… a powerful formula for faith filled living.

How can I live out what I have heard, seen and experienced in Jesus today?

Lord, as I experience You today, direct me in ways I can live out what You are showing me. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment