Thursday, October 16: Revelation 3- Godly discipline.

Oh, the Church… a second dose of mixed motives and actions. It seems things haven’t changed much. These pictures of these ancient churches could be written to churches of the 21st century. Every one of us fights the same battle; the battle against sin in the world and in our lives.

Verse 19 caught my eye. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. It reminds me of Hebrews 12.

In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.” Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it (Hebrews 12:4-11).

Godly discipline is for our good. It is for our growth. It is for our maturity… It is not pleasant, but it is growth producing. John 15:1-2: I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.

Embrace God’s discipline when it comes, I (you/we) obviously need it. That’s God’s Word to me today.

Lord, I pray that I can avoid Your discipline by living correctly and humbly in Your eyes. But when I need it, please send Your discipline that I might be Your son and grow up to honor and emulate You. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment