Friday, August 21: Psalm 56- A man after God's own heart.

This Psalm was written before David became king of Israel. I realized this as I read the Psalm setting, which noted that David wrote this Psalm when the Philistines seized him in Gath. This small tidbit told me that David had a strong connection with the Lord long before he became a famous king. As a young man, David cultivated an understanding of God’s Word –this is an amazing thought and a connection with God through prayer and Psalm writing. In verses 10-11 he sings: In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me?

To become ‘a man after God’s own heart,’ as David was described (Acts 13:22) requires a lifelong pursuit of God and deep down trust in God. David had both.

I was raised in the church and while in my late teens, I grabbed hold of faith in Jesus, personally, and I have been walking with the Lord ever since. I am no David but as I continue pursuing God, studying and building my life on God’s Word, I, too, can have a relationship with God like David had.

The same is true for all of us, if we pursue God who loves us with all our heart, mind, soul and strength and truly trust God with our lives and our future.

This is what my spirit heard as I spent time in Psalm 56 today.

Lord, God, I pray that my love and trust of You grows exponentially as the number of my days increases. Here is my life, take it and use it for Your glory and honor. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment