Tuesday, August 18: 2Thessalonians 3- It is good to work.

Paul makes an interesting comment to Thessalonians who will not work. He writes, In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and disruptive and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. I suspect this is the origin of the phrase I heard growing up, ‘Idle hands are the devil’s workshop.’

Paul continues,  For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat” (6-10).

I don’t know what was going on in Thessalonica but apparently some were not working and were freeloading off the community, expecting that the communities ‘love’ would feed and care for them. I started thinking, “What crooked thinking would lead to this behavior?  However, I quickly checked myself and started thinking what these words teach and say to me

·         To the best of my ability I should provide for myself and my family even as I serve the Lord.

·         Don’t be an undue burden to others whenever possible.

·         Work was a pre-fall task of humanity; it continues to be a task today.

·         When I have ‘free’ time, use it wisely, use it for the Lord; don’t stir up trouble for others.

These are some of my thoughts as I start my day.

Lord, as I set off for work today, I pray that the labor of my hands glorifies You and provides for my family. To Your name, may I be true. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment