Thursday, August 20: Psalm 55- Trust in the midst of betrayal.

As I was reading and praying along with David this morning, I found myself thinking about all the times David was in trouble. So many of his Psalms express trouble and hardship caused by an enemy. My ‘go to’ image of David is that of a great king, living in a palace, enjoying kingly things. But much of his life was touched by trouble.

It is clear in verses 13-14 that his enemy today was a former companion, someone with whom he used to enjoy sweet fellowship. Oh, how the betrayal of a friend stings. My companion attacks his friends; he violates his covenant. His talk is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords (20-21). How particularly hurtful it is when a trusted friend betrays us. David knew that sting and like always he turned to God in times of trouble.

And David lets his feeling rip as he prays. Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the realm of the dead, for evil finds lodging among them (15).

 I step back from this prayer of David and ponder two thoughts that fly to me.

One, how honest David is with God about what he is feeling and experiencing. David bares his soul and this is something I can learn to do as well. I am often guarded in expressing myself with others and even the Lord. I can free myself from those shackles at least as it pertains to the Lord. I can, even should, be as totally honest as I can with Him when I pray. And my utter honesty with the Lord has to do with both what is going on in my life and what I hope God will do about it. The Lord is big enough to answer me appropriately. 

Secondly, the utter faith of David to trust in the Lord... the entire Psalm but particularly the closing 2 verses remind me God is faithful. And I know God’s faithfulness in my life. The Lord has never let me down. He has always been there with me, no matter the storms or the pain.

Thank You, Lord, God, Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit. Thank you for being a refuge in storms and strength when I am weak. Praise to You, Lord, God. As for me, I trust in You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment