Tuesday, August 4: Galatians 2- Christ alone.

Now the true colors of Galatians comes out. Must a person who is a non-Jew become a Jew in order to follow Jesus and be saved?  Must a Jew who wants to follow Jesus continue to keep the Jewish Law? Answer to both. NO

Faith in Jesus –the Gospel message we saw in summary in Chapter 1 verse 3-5 –is all that is needed to be a Christ-follower and be rescued and redeemed. Paul was so adamant about this that he opposed Peter in public when he observed Peter showing the slightest deviance from this truth.

My thoughts and conversations with the Lord traveled in 2 directions as I pondered this truth.

First, I wondered and considered if there were areas in my life where I am trusting in something I had done or do rather than trust in Christ alone. Is my faith in the fact that I worship weekly, I take communion regularly, I was baptized, etc.? I thought about my daily times with the Lord. Do I trust in “my consistent devotions” or in Jesus?

I examined and probed my life… God’s way is Christ alone. Although there are activities I do that strengthen my faith (worship, giving, daily times of prayer and scripture, sacraments, etc.) these do not earn me brownie points or ‘salvation’ points. My rescue is solely dependent on Jesus’ love and gift. Nothing else.

After some time I found myself examining to see if I put certain people at arms length because of things they believe or how they were raised or their nationality or culture. Isn’t that what Peter began to do when he would no longer eat with Gentiles? If Paul or God were to look at my life would I need to be called out like Peter was called out?

This was harder for me to do. Everywhere I look I see a polarized world. The likelihood is that I polarize, too, but I do not even see it. I sat quietly bringing myself into the light of Christ. It is the best I could do this morning…

O, Jesus, Spirit, Father show me where I have polarizing lenses on and do not see people as You see them. Show me where I treat people differently and inappropriately because of my prejudices and judgments.

Lord, that I might reflect You more clearly and accurately, I pray. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment