Monday, September 28: Revelation 5- Songs to the Lord.

These pictures of worship before the throne in Heaven give me chills. To be numbered among the redeemed and to be singing to and praising the Lord with redeemed and perfected saints in Heaven blesses me.

God alone is worthy… the Lamb is worthy to receive honor and glory and power… (11).

The absolute focus of worship upon the Lord convicts me as I consider so much of our worship these days. There is no mention of the worshippers or self in any way. Total focus is on the One who sits on the throne and the Lamb. God’s redeeming work coupled with God’s absolute position to be honored and glorified is the total focus of these songs of worship.

There is no ‘me’… no God saves me; Oh, God loves me and this is why I sing. There is no, I am blessed and so I praise God. There is not even any mention of ‘Oh, how he loves you and me’…

I recognize that these songs are not the sum total of worship displayed in the Bible but they are in such stark contrast to many of the present day worship songs and hymns we use that I feel convicted.

The worship I see in Revelation 4 & 5 shows worshippers with their faces in the dust singing songs totally absorbed in the person and work of their God, our God.

A worship leader I know and respect sometimes says, “Our worship on earth is rehearsal for our eternity of worship in heaven.” Maybe we should change our lyrics to reflect more closely the worship glimpses we have of worship in heaven… just a thought.

And maybe I need to alter my personal and private worship similarly…

All hail the power of Jesus name …

Crown Him with many crowns…

Praise to the Lord the almighty the king of creation…

Praise the name of Jesus…

All glory laud and honor…

Praise to You my God and King worthy alone are You to receive the praise of men and women…

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment