Monday, September 7: Philippians 3- A citizen of heaven.

On this day that remembers the men and women who died while in the US armed forces, I found myself drawn into the text by the phrase, our citizenship is in heaven (20)? I found myself thinking about this phrase and what it suggests are far as my living.

Our citizenship is in heaven… well, it means my citizenship is NOT here on earth. It seems to mean I should not focus my life around things of this world. Clearly I cannot step out of this world, I am part of this world but I cannot focus all my energies on the good things or bad things of this world.  Life in Jesus is not about where I live, what my house is like or my cars or my retirement account, or even my family or my health or my politics, etc. Obviously these are important but they cannot become my total focus. My citizenship is in heaven.

On the positive side, I should consider what the important character traits of heaven, God’s world, are and focus on them. Loving other people and God and honoring God; these are 2 important traits of heaven. How can I incorporate these into my living? How can these become the focus of my living?

Somehow I feel like I am not even scratching the surface of this word…

Lord, keep burrowing this thought into me! Lord, keep piercing me, reminding me that my citizenship is with You and in You, not here. I don’t think I really get this, Lord… help me. Teach me. Show me. Lead me. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment