Wednesday, September 9: Philemon- Refresh God's people..

I was captivated by the imagery in verse 7: Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people.

I wondered what it means to refresh the hearts of the Lord’s people. I tried to picture this in 21st century living.

Did he give liberally to the church? I doubt that was what Paul was talking about. He may have done this but the imagery seems much more people centered.

Was he one of those people who moved around after the worship, checking in with folks, speaking a good word here, lending a listening ear there? This could certainly be part of it.

Was he one of those people in the fellowship who everyone knows you can go to when you have a problem or issue? He holds confidences and seems to have wisdom for all situations.

I know a number of people who live in these ways. When I think of them a smile comes to my face because I know how many sisters and brothers in the church they have been there for… quietly refreshing hearts without any fanfare or acknowledgement. These folks are the backbone of health in the churches I have been associated with and they are a wonder to behold.

It seems Philemon was one of these folk and Paul honors him for being a refreshing brother in the church.

I wonder what I could be doing to be a Philemon within my church family?

How about you?

God, I have been refreshed by others… a word, a gift, a listening ear. Open my heart to others… that I might provide a word, gifts, listening ear, or what have you to sisters and brothers in my church family. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment