Saturday, September 12: Psalm 60- .

David again cries out to the Lord for help. He understands that God is his only true source of help. Verses 11-12 put this into words: Give us aid against the enemy, for human help is worthless. With God we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies.

I noticed that the intro to the Psalm says it is “For Teaching” which got me thinking about what this Psalm teaches me.

My first thought was that it reminds me that God is my true source of help. It is easy to fool myself into thinking that “I can solve all my problems!” Or that government will save me or my friends or…fill in the blank. While one or more of these entities might provide for me in a time of trouble, David helps me see that the hand that moved those who come to my help is the Lord. God is the one who deserves my trust and this is a truth I must never forget.

Another learning is that I can be honest with the Lord. David feels that the Lord is angry with him (them –the people of Israel) and he says so. Too often I mask honesty with God through pious words. David blurts out his hurts to God and David’s honesty is refreshing. I am thinking that too many prayers are sterile… and the Lord knows my heart is not sterile!

Another learning as I considered this Psalm is that I can learn from other people’s prayers. And learning from Scriptural prayers is even better because God inspired these prayers!

It has been a good day in the Psalms.

Lord, Your Word has engaged my thoughts and mind.   Please engage my heart, too, because an engaged heart is when I truly learn and grow. And this, Lord, is what I desire. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment