Wednesday, September 16: 1John 2- Live your faith.

There is so much in this short chapter. And having recently read Augustine’s Confessions, Augustine has an interesting and worthwhile section on verse 16, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life...

But as I sat with the Word before me today, it was the overall tenor of the text that got me. John’s opening target seems to be LIVE YOUR FAITH. I see many parallels with John 15 and his plea about remaining in the vine. And the proof is LOVE… as we love we show ourselves to be Jesus’ disciples. Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble (10).

Our loving of others is our proof that we are living in the light of God. Well, this causes me to look at the way I live. Am I loving? Am I kind? Am I patient with others, particularly those in God’s family? Do I forgive readily? Do I harbor hurts? The questions to probe my inner life keep tumbling out, spawned, I am sure, from the love definition in 1Corinthians 13.

It is so much easier for me to ask myself these questions than to honestly answer them. And my answers are mixed depending upon whom I ‘see in my mind’ when I consider my answers. It comes much easier to love some people than others. I am not sure why. But why isn’t really all that important right now. What is important is that I face my failings and grow in Jesus and His love toward all people.

God help me… I am calling to You. It is clear that I cannot do this on my own. My human heart is wicked in spots, still stained by sin. Forgive me and Lord, do surgery on my sin-filled areas that I may be Yours fully and more totally. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment