Tuesday, September 8: Philippians 4- People problems.

Isn’t the church supposed to be perfect? Aren’t all Christians supposed to get along? How can it be that these two women are having problems?  How is it that their problems are so significant that Paul chooses to address them directly and enlist the help of people in Philippi to mediate?

Even in the church… stuff happens.

Even in the church good people have issues with one another.

Listening to Paul address Euodia and Syntyche, it struck me that Christians are people just like everyone else. We have our weak spots, hurts and concerns. We are filled with the Spirit sometimes and very human the next.

Paul writes: I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life (2-3).

Despite our humanness Paul anticipates that these two women can work through their problems and become of the same mind. This phrase reminds me of Philippians 2 where Paul directs us to have the attitude of Christ… (see Philippians 2:6-11). Clearly these women were not living this way.

I wondered, do I?

My honest answer is ‘sometimes’. Some days and with some people I can live the attitude of Christ. Some people and some days bring anything but that attitude out of me. I could be Euodia or Syntyche.

I also thought about how much God values healthy appropriate relationships.  The fact that verses 2 & 3 are in Scripture speaks to the reality that the Father longs for us to maintain healthy and appropriate relationships.

As I was typing this last line God seemed to speak, “Bill, are there relationships you need to repair?”

Hmmm…

I ask the same question of those who are reading this blog.

Lord, help me to maintain my relationship well. Teach me humility when needed and also the courage to fight for health in all of my relationships. Lord, I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment