Thursday, September 10: Psalm 58- How do you pray when you see evil in the world?.

How do you pray when you see evil in the world?

In today’s Psalm, David gives us a VERY strong prayer; in part he prays:

Break the teeth in their mouths, O God;

LORD, tear out the fangs of those lions!

Let them vanish like water that flows away;

when they draw the bow, let their arrows fall short.

May they be like a slug that melts away as it moves along,

like a stillborn child that never sees the sun (6-8).

Compared with this, most of my ‘against-evil’ prayers are quite tepid.

I am sure some people might be upset by this prayer... “Not very Christian and certainly not very politically correct”.

I don’t think this Psalm advocates for this kind of prayer all the time or even any time someone hurts or disses us. But in the face of injustice in our world where leaders look the other way for expedience sake or collusion sake… that kind of vile behavior begets prayer of equal viscosity.

This prayer shakes me, charges me, and humbles me all at the same time.

God, teach me to pray… I mean really pray! God, give me Your heart; Your heart that loves and Your heart that hates evil and injustice. Teach me, Lord, to pray from Your heart. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment