Wednesday, September 23: Revelation 1- Freed from our sins.

To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen. (5b-6).

What a wonderful gift God has given to us in Jesus… God freed us from our sins by [Jesus’] blood. I realize that for many, those words may mean almost nothing. In a world that doesn’t talk about sin very much, being freed from sin’s weight and stain probably means very little. But after a person has been honest with self about sin… their own (my own) sin, that statement is an incredible gift!!!

My thoughts circled around the word ‘freed.’ Sin –my sin –can enslave me. I tell a lie and now that lie is a prison in which I must live forever.

I have watched a TV show called Suits. A young hot shot lawyer at a major law firm, Mike Ross, is living a lie. He never attended law school and falsified records that he is a Harvard Law Grad. It seems like every show the noose of his lie grows tighter and tighter. He is imprisoned by his own sin, a lie.

The text reminds me that in Jesus, and through confession of sin, we are freed from our sin. Oh, there may be earthly consequences but God no longer counts our sin against us. We are freed from the yoke of slavery to our sin and the judgment that comes from it.

Mike Ross is a fictitious character. I am not and thanks be to Jesus I am freed from my sins by Jesus’ blood.

What a gift… what a delightful truth to meditate on today. I am forgiven… I am freed from Sins weight and guilt and shame and eternal punishment. Alleluia.

Thank You, Jesus… Thank You, Jesus… praise Your wonderful name.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment