Friday, July 6: Proverbs 3- A person of love and faithfulness.

So many potential lines to ponder. Ah, the riches of Proverbs.

I found myself drawn to verse 3-4, so after completing the chapter I returned to those verses. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man (3-4).

Love and faithfulness seemed like words I should dig into a bit more deeply.

Love (Hebrew 'Hesed') is a most important OT word meaning "kindness," "mercy," "loyalty" or "steadfast love." Often used to describe an attribute of God, it becomes a key theological term for understanding the nature of God as presented in the OT, especially in relation to being faithful to covenants and true to His Word. In the verse at hand it is an attribute that should characterize ourselves as well. Thus we are bidden to be people of kindness, mercy, loyalty, and steadfast love. We should keep our word and be faithful to the ways of the Lord.

Faithfulness as a singular noun, denotes the qualities of "firmness," "faithfulness," and "truth." So our word should be solid and true. We are firm in our convictions, which in the grand scheme of the scripture, means firmness is living as the Lord would have his son or daughter live.

The proverb goes on to say that we must tie these character traits to our very being. We are to secure them to our lives so that they guide us in all we do.

Interestingly, if we live this way, not only will God honor us but people will as well. There is truth here, because people appreciate men and women of integrity, mercy, kindness and love!

So reflecting on my associations and relationships, am I a person of love and faithfulness? Can I be counted upon for kindness and mercy, love and truth? Am I firm in my convictions yet tempered by love?

Am I?

Are you?

Think about it… I am.

Oh God, to reflect You to my world is an honor and hard work. Forgive me when I fall short and help me grow in love and faithfulness. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment