Wednesday, July 4: Proverbs 1- The gift of Proverbs.

Proverbs opens with a statement of purpose.

The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel: for gaining wisdom and instruction; for understanding words of insight; for receiving instruction in prudent behavior, doing what is right and just and fair (1-3)…

I pause to ponder this statement. What a gift the book of Proverbs is. If it can fulfill its purpose then it is a book everyone should read and devour!

My hope and prayer is that each day there will be one or more Proverbs that I can latch onto and grow with.

After the purpose statement, Solomon gives the heart of the Proverbs, verse 7. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Fearing God, says Solomon, is key to wise living.

So simple, and so profound.

Fear God… yes, recognize that God alone is great and awesome and I am not. I am no match for God. Should God choose to slay me, I am slain. Should God choose to crush me, I am crushed. I am defenseless before God.

Remembering this. Keeping a clear understanding of God's greatness and my smallness always in my mind, this is the beginning of knowledge. It is the beginning because now I have the correct footing and foundation from which to explore the world and learn the ways of the Lord.

Yes, the fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge…

Lord, pound this truth home to me. Press it into every fiber of my being. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment