Monday, June 11: 1Corinthians 10- An interesting list.

There is so much in this chapter… likely it warrants many readings and much thought. For this sitting I was attracted to the 'do not' warnings in the second paragraph (7).

·         Do not be idolaters.

·         Don't commit sexual immorality (8).

·         Do not test Christ (9).

·         Don't be grumblers (10).

This is an interesting list to consider. Of all the 'do nots' possible for Paul to choose from, these are his list for now. Wow, the Holy Spirit is addressing some interesting behaviors.

No idolatry… don't put anything, any practice, any wrong thinking before God and His correct thinking. That's one all-encompassing command. All God, all the time… no time wasted on other ways, truths, belief structures and the like.

No sexual immorality… we are sexual beings and God is clear: one man and one woman, that's it. Any behavior outside of that is not God's way. Watch yourself; their culture and our culture pushes a different ethic. Don't fall prey.

No testing of Christ… where did this come from? What's going on and what does this mean to me? I am not sure at this time what God is saying to me…

No grumbling… this is an interesting inclusion in the list. As I ponder this one I realize that grumblers tear down and dishearten. Grumbling destroys unity, undermining trust and connection. Generally we grumble against someone, hence the destruction of trust and connection.

There is LOTS to chew on…. So I conclude with Paul's summary comment. Verse 13:

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Lord God, help me to take Your admonition to heart. Please, Lord, help me. Through Christ I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment