Friday, June 22: 2Corinthians 4- Earthen vessels.

Years ago when I was married, my wife and I chose an earthenware pattern for our dishes. They were nice, but over not too many years they began to chip and break. Earthenware can be fragile. And that is Paul's point in verse 4. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

I have read this chapter and these words yearly since 1975 but recently they took on a more visceral and literal meaning.

I have been blessed with a healthy body. Then about 2 months ago there was an indication that I had an issue and a month ago tomorrow I had surgery to remove cancer in my prostate. Now I am recuperating. It is taking weeks for my body to heal. I am very fortunate that the cancer was removed and I should be fine going forward. But I still need to heal from the surgery. And presently I am limited in what I can do. My body tires quickly.

My 'earthen vessel' is breakable.

These post-surgery days of recovery are reinforcing how fragile life can be. Am I making the most of the life I have been given? Am I regularly and continually thankful to the Lord for the vim and vigor I have. Were it not for God's all-surpassing power and His gift of grace and mercy, I might have no breath at all.

It is so easy to fall prey to thinking that my life and health is all about my effort. And while it is important for me (us) to take care of ourselves and our bodies, God has the ultimate say. God alone grants life and God calls us home.

Paul goes on to write, So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal (18). Paul's not so subtle reminder is that we are to constantly (hence fix our eyes) be looking to our God –Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit –and not concentrate solely on the things of this world, which like us, are temporary.

Lord God, I thank You for my health and for this body and life you have given me. Lord, I want to take care of it as a way to honor You. Even more, I pray Lord, that I might use this earthen vessel, as dinged up and cracked as it may be, to point people to Your glory. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment