Wednesday, June 27: 2Corinthians 8- Intention and completion.

Paul's words about the offering raise the difference between intention and completion. And it is here that I found myself contemplating. The issue is highlighted in verses 10-11. And here is my judgment about what is best for you in this matter. Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means.

Paul's third sentence reverberates within me. Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means.

How often I intend to do some good thing… write a letter, make a call, give a gift, but then life gets in the way. For me it is not so much that I change my mind –sometimes maybe -rather I am thinking about the times I just don't get around to doing whatever I have said or thought I should do. I get busy with other things and forget to make the phone call. If I remember it will be hours or days later and the 'moment' for action has passed.

I could lay out similar scenarios for other intentions that never were completed.

I look back at Paul's words. Now finish the work… do what you said you would do! And if that word isn't enough, he continues: so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means.

Willingness… matched by your completion of it. Ouch, that one stings.

Somehow my mind connects this passage with Old Testament concepts of vows. I realize an intention isn't necessarily the same as a vow, but they have a similar ilk. And the Lord speaks strongly about keeping one's vows to Him. Similar principle. Keep your word. Do what you said or intended to do.

It is the keeping of one's vow, the completion of one's intention that brings the blessing to self, others or both.

Think about it…

Lord, if I long to be a man of my word and a man after Your own heart then I need to finish the work and follow through on the Spirit promptings and God-honoring intentions that come to me. Lord, keep speaking and leading, also please provide me with the spirit-empowered strength to follow though. In Jesus' name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment