Tuesday, June 19: 2Corinthians 1- Learning to surrender.

Life for the follower of Jesus is not always one of joy and delight. Every human, both in Christ and out of Christ endure difficult times. And sometimes Christ followers endure difficult times because of their faith in Jesus. God is with us and for us in every situation.

Paul's words struck me: We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many (8-11).

First the extent of the pressure Paul felt so that he despaired of life itself hit me. Paul realized there are no guarantees. God may come through with deliverance and God may not. Seriously, if he knew God would deliver him, why despair?!

Paul was beyond his ability to change his circumstances, far beyond our ability to endure, or even his human ability to endure. So apparently he released control to God. God was the keeper of his life and outcome.

To release or relinquish control to the Lord is never easy for me. I doubt it came naturally to Paul either. But he had learned to cede control to his Lord.

One measure of a disciple is that we all learn to cede control to the Lord and trust Him with our lives.

It also stuck me that Paul didn't go it alone, he turned to the body for their prayers. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

This statement is not a prescription for some 'magic elixir' that makes everything always turn out wonderfully. Again, there are no guarantees, but being surrounded by and carried by the prayers of the faithful is a beautiful thing.

On countless mission trips I have known the sustaining power of the prayers of God's people. During my present surgery recovery I know the sustaining power of the prayers of God's people. I wish things always turned out as I hoped and dreamed… but God's will is not always what I hope and will. And that is a truth I must master if I am truly to learn how to give over my will to His will and surrender my life to my God.

Lord… continue teaching me and continue leading me to deeper trust and surrender to You and Your will. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment