Thursday, July 5: Proverbs 2- Dedication, resolve, determination, and attention needed.

Proverbs continues to pound home the truth that the fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom.

Chapter 2 opens: My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding— indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God (1-5).

The challenge to us, as the son –the apprentice, the learner –is conveyed in the verbs used. Accept, store up, turn to, apply, call out, cry aloud, look for then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. The pressure is placed squarely upon us to seek after God's knowledge and understanding. We are to apply ourselves to the task of discerning and learning from the Lord.

The tenor and resolve embedded in these verbs tells me the task will not be simple or easy. It takes application and determination.

I have a son who just graduated from law school and is now studying for his Bar exam. For 6 or 7 weeks studying is his full time work. Eight or so hours a day he works, taking notes on lectures, completing practice exams and writing sample essays. In this span he will take off maybe 4 days. Dedication, resolve, determination, and attention is needed to pass the Bar.

So, too, should we apply ourselves to apprehend the knowledge and wisdom of the Lord. Unlike studying for the bar we cannot cram our learning into a few weeks… pursuit of God is a life long endeavor.

Will I give it my best? Will I give it my all? The Lord deserves nothing less…

Strengthen my spine and will power, Oh Lord, so that when I am tempted to slack off or quit, I don't give in. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment