Tuesday, June 26: 2Corinthians 7- Perfecting holiness.

Right out of the block, I knew the verse I was to linger upon after reading the chapter. Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God (1, bold mine).

I carry the responsibility for my life… I can choose to purify my life or to contaminate it. Me, the responsibility lies with me.

God, the Holy Spirit, lives in me, a gift of the Father and Son at the moment of my new birth in Jesus. In my merely human strength I could never choose to purify myself, but with the presence and power of the Spirit, I can draw upon God in and with me to give me the strength to purify myself.

The question is, do I have the want to do this? God is a gentleman. God will not force His will upon us humans. God will not even force His will on His followers. God invites us, woos us, charges us… and waits. Waits for us to acknowledge Him and desire to draw into Him.

So Paul entreats the Corinthians, and through his letter he entreats us, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

In the stillness, I ask God to go with me as I examine my life… and purge contaminants wherever they are found… in my thoughts, desires, hurts, fears, finances, relationships, appetites of food, drink, sex, and so on.

Holy Spirit, strengthen me for this task, a life-long task, because like weeds in a garden, contaminants continually pop up in my life. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment