Friday, July 13: Proverbs 9- The need for knowledge.

Wisdom and folly are compared and contrasted in this chapter. Like a broken record, Solomon makes the point again and again…avoid folly, embrace wisdom.

I guess you cannot overplay the need to embrace wisdom. Thinking about my own parenting, there were concerns and issues I continually hammered home. God through Solomon is hammering home the concern of folly and the need for wisdom.

Am I heeding God's Word? Am I seeking wisdom?

And what is wisdom? The often-used definition is given again in this chapter. Verse 10: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

I have looked at the first half of that definition before so my eyes were drawn to the second half. (Reminder in Hebrew poetry couplets, like verse 10, are often used to make one point. The second couplet is often restatement of the first, using different language or another word picture.)

Knowledge of the Holy One is understanding… My first reaction is 'Yes, Amen.' Then as I pondered longer I realized that knowledge of the Holy One doesn't drop on us like rain from above. Instead it is more like a garden that has to be worked and tended and cultivated. Knowledge takes work to amass. Knowledge takes thought and study and concentration.

Am I spending the time necessary with the Lord and His Word to gain knowledge of Him? Am I giving God's Word the attention it deserves? Looking back over my life, am I growing in understanding?

Are you???

Lord, show me how to guard my time with You and Your Word. Give me attention when I am in thought and study. Burrow Your truths deep into my very being. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment