Saturday, July 14: Proverbs 10- Integrity.

When I think of a Proverb, a short 2-line pity statement comes to mind. Now that we have reached chapter 10, the chapters are full of those 2-line statements that bounce around from topic to topic.

Reading this chapter I was drawn to verse 9 and particularly the word 'integrity.' Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but whoever takes crooked paths will be found out.

Uprightness, perfection and strength, 3 other options for translating the Hebrew word underneath 'integrity'.

While I find the word 'integrity' full of meaning, those additional options add color and texture to the meaning of the Proverb.

Whoever walks uprightly walks securely…

Whoever walks in perfection walks securely…

Whoever walks in strength [of character] walks securely…

Solomon is pointing out that being a person of moral integrity, showing strength of character, right living and the keeping of God's law is the right way to live. One is secure in God when one lives this way. But when we choose to live oppositely, choosing the 'crooked path', we are found out. We are exposed, which means we are prosecuted.

When I am walking with integrity it is like driving the speed limit. I don't need to be looking out for speed traps and unmarked police cars, because I am not breaking any laws I have no worry about being 'found out!'

Integrity is being an honorable person, a God-fearing person through and through.

Now flood the questions for my soul. Am I a man of integrity before the Lord? Is my life the same when I am in the light or in the shadows?

Lord, the joy of understanding and learning and growing in You is the joy of living life with integrity before You. May that be true of me. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment