Monday, August 6: Proverbs 29- Care about justice.

The initial proverb that caught my attention was verse 7: The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern. I found myself considering how I care for the poor.

First the word 'care' grabbed my attention. The proverb is not about how one thinks about the poor; it is how one cares for the poor. Caring implies action; doing, giving, helping, listening, advocating, befriending, visiting… Can one care for another without some kind of positive action on behalf of the cared for? Looking back to the proverb the righteous care about justice. So the caring described is given some specific direction. Can one care about justice for another without some kind of positive action on behalf of the cared for?

All of this is confronting me. I'd like to think I am a generally good guy, if so, where have I cared about justice for the poor? This question stings my heart and soul.

Father God, are you calling me to DO something? Is there a particular injustice that I should seek to right or people caught by the injustice I should seek to help? Speak, Lord, I believe and hope I am truly listening… through Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

There was a second proverb that caught my attention. Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe (25). I wonder if the two are connected. If somehow fear of man or the flip side, wanting to look good to a certain group of people, has been a snare in my not doing more to fight injustice.

I don't know. I need more time…

Speak, Lord, I believe and hope I am truly listening… through Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment