Thursday, July 26: Proverbs 20- Musings on forgiveness.

Even though the verse 9 & 12 are not side-by-side, my thoughts connected them as I read.

Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin"?

Ears that hear and eyes that see— the LORD has made them both (9 & 12).

When I read that first proverb I said, "Yeah, that's me." I know I cannot say I have kept my heart pure. I know too well my faults, sins and failings. I am so thankful for forgiveness offered in Jesus. What a gift! What a blessing God's forgiveness is through Jesus Christ, the Lord!

There are times when I am tempted to take God's gift of forgiveness for granted. I think that is the thought that connected verses 9 and 12. Verse 12 reminded me that God is always watching. Yes, God forgives, but He also sees and hears and that is a warning to me. God sees and hears.  I can hide nothing from Him. And sometimes when I am tempted to get away with something… this reminder is enough to straighten me out!

Now this doesn't always work, temptations to do things my way rather than God's way can be strong. Still reminding myself that God sees and hears does elevate the 'fear of the Lord' in me and that is always a good thing.

Proverbs can be so practical. No wonder Billy Graham credited reading one chapter of proverbs per day as one of the factors that helped him maintain his integrity throughout his long life.

Good advice, Dr. Graham…

Lord, may I hide your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You. Lord, may I pay attention to Your Word. May the theology keep me from dogmatic error in my teaching, my preaching and the practical. May it keep me as a humble child before You, Lord. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment