Thursday, August 2: Proverbs 26- The fool.

The opening 12 verses expound upon the fool. A few proverbs…

Like snow in summer or rain in harvest, honor is not fitting for a fool (1).

Sending a message by the hands of a fool is like cutting off one's feet or drinking poison (6).

As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly (11).

The writer of proverbs uses some of his strongest word pictures for fools

It is a sad time when a fool has the microphone…

It is too easy to point fingers at leaders and prominent people who I believe are acting like fools as a way to deflect my gaze from myself. The proverbs, however, are meant to be a training tool for me and my life… so, Lord, what are you speaking to me through these words?!

I am reminded of a proverb from chapter 17:24: A discerning person keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth. Living with wisdom is the antithesis of a fool. And wisdom is found through the fear of the Lord.

Thus I find myself ponding yet again what it mans practically to 'fear the Lord'… to venerate my Lord, to tremble before Him, to be in awe of Him and to seek to live with Him, in Him and for Him. This will save me from folly and playing the fool.

O God, O God, shudder me with glimpses of You that I may quake and delight in You, Lord Savior, and God of the Universe. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen and amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment