Tuesday, July 24: Proverbs 18- An appearance of truth.

Proverbs 18:17 offers advice that has saved me more than once from an error. It reads, In a lawsuit the first to speak seems right, until someone comes forward and cross-examines. I have found this to be true in many contexts beyond the courtroom, in which I have never been.

It is so easy to be convinced when you hear only one side of an issue or dispute. Taking time to hear both sides and probing as necessary has saved me from many impulsive actions which, if executed, might have led to deep embarrassment and potentially false accusations.

I have also found this to be helpful in meetings where I spend a great deal of time. When a presentation is made allowing both for and against voices speak their piece it leads to better decisions, in my opinion. The dynamics of a meeting are that some people (usually extroverts) speak first and there is a subtle temptation to side with the first voice. Sometimes as moderator I have to tease out quieter folk who may agree or disagree with what has been already spoken. Generally listening to all voices proves to be wise. They might agree and thus strengthen the argument for the proposed action or they might expose a facet that has yet to be considered. Either way the final decision is generally stronger.

The wisdom of this proverb has application in many arena…

Oh, God, may I build into my general life-operating manual the wisdom to listen to and weigh all sides of an issue before making up my mind. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment