Saturday, August 11: Acts 3- Many names and titles of Jesus.

Not long ago I preached from this chapter, so when it turned up in my devotional Bible reading schedule, I wondered how the Lord might speak to me this morning. It didn't take long. My heart and thoughts were attracted to the various names and titles that Jesus sprinkled in this chapter.*

Here are the names and titles I found in the chapter.

·         Jesus Christ of Nazareth (6).

·         God's servant (13).

·         The Holy and Righteous One (14).

·         Author of life (15).

·         God's Messiah (18 & 20).

·         A prophet like Moses (22).

Jesus Christ of Nazareth: Jesus is a historical person placed in history with a known birth location. Jesus is not just some 'idea.' He is a person people knew, heard of and could serve and worship. Christ is the Greek word for Messiah, not Jesus' last name. More about Messiah below.

God's servant: first this title echoes Isaiah's suffering servant in Isaiah 53. Jesus suffered and died for you and for me and for the world that we might be freed from the tangles of sin and shame, redeemed and brought into the kingdom of God. Servant also conjures thoughts of serving, doing the bidding of another, in this case God the Father.

Holy and Righteous One: the NIV, along with all the modern translations I checked, capitalized this name, suggesting it is a title. The Holy One… perfect, set apart for God's work and honor, set apart by God for work and honor. Righteous One… perfect, pure, able to move into God's presence. This is a title of honor, dignity and godliness.

Author of life: this title suggests divinity. Who but God authors life. Creator, yes even Sustainer.

The accumulation of titles in this chapter is wonderfully amazing! I grow in reverence for Jesus.

God's Messiah: again Messiah is capitalized in its two uses, suggesting title. Messiah… God's sent One. God's redeeming One. God's anointed One. Jesus is THE One sent by God to call and redeem a people set apart for God.

A prophet like Moses: there is only one Moses, the greatest Old Testament figure. Moses was a prophet who spoke directly with God and who led God's people to freedom. Moses, unique among the prophets, was both prophet –mouthpiece for God –and leader sent by God to execute God's redemption for the people. So, too, Jesus, who has the additional qualities of being Messiah and God Himself.

Wow, what a glimpse of Jesus this chapter provides.

I sit in awe and wonder… Jesus has made Himself known to me. Jesus has called me and Jesus has given me His name and appointed me to be His ambassador to the nations.

Oh Jesus, Lord and Master. I bow to You. Yes, I bow to You… Halleluiah. Amen.

 

*It is fascinating for me that none of this emerged in my preaching of this chapter. There is so much in God's Word, far more than can be meditated upon or preached upon in any given day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment