Wednesday, July 18: Proverbs 13- Financial pretense.

Pretense… I guess it attacks every age. One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth (7).

Now it is certainly different to live above ones means pretending to be rich than living within and below your means as if you have nothing. The former creates a hole that can and does swallow whole families.

I just read a 2017 study reporting that 38% of American households carry on average $16,000 in credit card debt. Credit card debt is among the worst debt possible since it is often 15-20% interest.  A second study reveals that credit card debt increased in 2018 by $800/household, which means that since only 38% carry debt these households increased their debt $2100 in the last year!

Pretense, living above ones means, pretending to be who we are not, being unwise in our financial dealings… the burden this places on families is enormous.

These studies don't reveal why these households have debt. Are they pretending to be a higher 'class' than their salaries allow? Did major medical debt swallow them? Did a primary wage earner lose a job and the debt kept them afloat till a new job was found? I don't know and I can't say.

Still the warning of the proverb is clear to me… live within your means and shun pretense. To pretend to be rich, to build a façade of wealth or status, isn't worth the pressure it places upon the household.  It robs the family of any joy they may have had in life.

Pretense, pretending to be who we are not, kills…

Be who God made you to be. Live within the means God gives to you. Better yourself if you are able for sure, but don't sell your soul to do so. And don't pretend to be who you are not, while you are trying to become who you may not become. Final thoughts as I ponder this proverb.

Lord, thank You for the life You have given me to life. You have blessed me and my family and I am grateful. I pray with thanksgiving that You led me to be conservative with what You have given me. I pray for wisdom to continue in Your wisdom and grace. In Jesus' name. Amen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment