Thursday, July 19: Proverbs 14- Some days God is tough on me.

Two very different proverbs caught my attention. I guess I will ponder one for a bit then the other.

A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones (30). I have been doing a lot of walking lately, part of my recovery prescription for a recent surgery. Since I walk about 9 miles a day and 4+ miles at a time I have been on most every road within 2 miles of my home. Some of the homes I walk by are quite something, I'd guess 4-5,000 square feet. Because of a bridge being repaired I walk through a club with tennis courts, pool and other amenities that is the private club for the families living in that particular subdivision. The community is tree lined, manicured laws and beautiful… beyond nice. Walking in places like this, can easily draw envy to run wild.

One thing I have learned in life is that envy robs joy for what you do have. The proverb is correct envy rots the bones! I think the writer's point is I have a choice, I don't have to go down the envy road. I can live at peace with what I have. I can even be delighted for what other people have, particularly when they have more than me and more of things I would like to have. A heart at peace can do this.

 

Second proverb: Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God (31). This proverb troubled me greatly, specifically with regard to the way my own country has been treating poor families who have come into our country illegally. Separating children from families… oh, how this pains me. I don't mean for this blog to get political, but this is where my mind and thoughts went. It just destroys me that we in this country would do this. I know I am not doing this oppression, but my country is and I am wondering if I am complicit???

I realize that the proverb seems to be speaking to individuals and not nations. Then again 3 proverbs later I read this. Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin condemns any people (34). Seems to me what were doing to these families is not righteous. I don't believe God is smiling.

The first proverb called me to introspection. The second (and third) led me to tears…

A stern day in God's Word…

Oh, God… I don't even know how I should pray. Accept my wordless silence and my tear filled eyes as my prayer. Through Christ, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment