Saturday, July 28: Proverbs 22- To care with God's heart.

Reading through Proverbs this time, verses that speak about the divide between rich and poor and how the rich should treat the poor, seem to catch my attention. Today it came in the second of 30 wise sayings, verses 22-23:  Do not exploit the poor because they are poor and do not crush the needy in court, for the LORD will take up their case and will exact life for life.

There seems to be much talk these days about the divide –the growing divide –in my country between rich and poor. It pops up in immigration debates and reports on healthcare. Maybe I am tuned into this topic because of some of the reading I have been doing lately and some experiences I have had…

·         Monthly trips for years to the World Vision Storehouse in the South Bronx that services the underprivileged in that community.

·         Attending a 'green card' party for friends, one of whom just got his green card, a great relief for friends and family.

·         Books, Trevor Noah, Born a Crime; Cristina Henriquez, The Book of Unknown Americans –A Novel; Harriet Beecher Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Whatever my internal impulse, verses like 22&23 grab me. Do not exploit the poor because they are poor and do not crush the needy in court, for the LORD will take up their case and will exact life for life.

It is all too easy to exploit people simply because one can. Do not exploit the poor because they are poor

I try not to, but I can't help wondering if I am clueless to exploitation around me. If fact I am wondering right now if the privileges I enjoy as a highly educated, white, upper middle class person aren't born on the back of the less fortunate, thus causing me to be complicit in exploitation. I don't know but my soul is wondering out loud through my fingers on the keyboard.

My reading of Scripture tells me that God has His eye on the poor and God cares how I (we) treat people who have less of this world's wealth and advantages. And I am wondering if I honestly understand this???

Do you?

Lord, teach me to care, to care with Your heart. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment