Monday, July 30: Proverbs 23- Beware envy.

       I appreciate the 30 sayings, because they offer a little more meat on the bones of the basic thought. It was saying 15 that sparked my desire to ponder.

Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD. There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off (17-18).

Like most I observe life and there are things in life that I like, that I think about and even long for. I am not convinced this is bad; dreams can bring life. But, and this is an important, if I allow my dreams to grow so that they encompass me or if I become so fixated on them that I envy people who have the things I dream for, then I have boarded a run-a-way train that can lead to my destruction. Envy can grab the heart and squeeze the life out of it!

The proverb points to this when it speaks to envying sinners. (Personally I believe that when we envy good people who have things it can be equally dangerous.)

The proverb doesn't end with the destructive behavior, it moves on to describe a counteracting good behavior… always be zealous for the fear of the LORD. Seeking God cannot occupy a human life if we are envying something else. Good and evil cannot share the same space.

Before pushing on I lingered on the idea of being zealous for the fear of the LORD. Given other proverbs on the fear of the Lord, this injunction suggests we are zealous or committed to gaining God's knowledge and wisdom. Being zealous suggests we give our life and being to these pursuits.

At this point the proverb offers positive future of hope for those who can manage life and keep their heart and mind zealous for the fear of the Lord. Hope is a great gift. Hope can carry us through the darkest trials. Hope is a beautiful attribute.

Having spent time listening to this proverb, now comes my opportunity to internalize it. I have hopes and dreams, do I keep them manageable and positive by being zealous for the fear of the LORD? Flipping the thought on its head, do I allow my zeal for the Lord to inspire my hopes and dreams? Is God, getting to know the Lord, and living in a manner that delights Him my highest aim and fuel for my hopes and dreams? These are questions that drive to the heart and teaching of this proverb.

Am I living this way? Are you? What a deep and powerful thought to carry with me throughout the day.

Lord, may knowing You and living with and for You be my deepest hope and my greatest dream. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment