Wednesday, August 8: Proverbs 31- Live for self or for God?.

Usually my attention is directed toward the closing thoughts in Proverb 31 on the noble woman. How incredibly industrious this woman is!

This morning I purposely paid attention to the opening, the sayings to King Lemuel, whoever he might be.

My summary, don't waste your life on women or drink (verses 1-7) as king you are the voice of those who can't speak for themselves. Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy (8-9).

I have become a fan of the TV series The Crown. In this portrayal of Queen Elizabeth, I have been struck by the serious approach she, as a young woman, takes when it comes to her queenly responsibilities. The contrast between the how Queen Elizabeth manages her life and her younger sister Margaret is striking… it is a picture of verse 1-7 and 8-9. Another aspect that stuck me is how much Elizabeth must sacrifice to be an able queen, executing her duties with honor and dignity.

These thoughts cause me to realize that to Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy has costs –even significant personal and family costs.

The path God calls us to walk, whether king, or noble, or commoner, has costs. Certainly there are wonderful rewards and blessings for walking as God would desire us to walk. Still there are costs and sacrifices to live differently that people expect or desire you to live. Every day is a struggle to live unto the Lord rather than live unto self… this is where my thoughts go as I apply this word to a king to my regular-people life.

Lord, 12-14 hours remain for me before I close my eyes in sleep tonight. I attune my ears to listen for Your voice… lead and guide me today, and then the next and the next until You close my eyes in eternal rest.

I am Yours, Oh Lord, I am Yours. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment