Tuesday, July 31: Proverbs 24- How do I treat enemies?.

Saying Number 28, verses 17-18, Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice, or the LORD will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from them (17-18), reminded me of one of Jesus' words.

Can you guess what word of Jesus I was thinking about?

Matthew 5:44: But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you… (see also Luke 6:27 and 35).

The sentiments are not quite the same, Jesus definitely amps up God's expectations of our response to enemies.

God is certainly interested and instructive in how we are to treat enemies. And it seems clear that God believes we can control our responses, that we are rational beings who can will to do good.

Gracious in victory; humble in defeat.

Here's the rub. All of these words are so contrary to the way general culture would have me live.

Lord, everywhere I turn I am embroiled in a war; to live Your way or to live as people and culture would have me live. I cannot rest. I cannot slumber, I must remain vigilant and on guard always. I must constantly be orienting my life to your world like a ships captain uses a sextant of old or GPS today. Without constant monitoring it is so easy to get off target and out of line with You and Your revealed will.

Guide me, O thou great Jehovah, pilgrim through this barren land…

In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment