Friday, July 20: Proverbs 15- How much do you value a peace-filled life?.

What is the value of peace and harmony at home and in life? That's where my thoughts traveled, sparked by verse 17. Better a small serving of vegetables with love than a fattened calf with hatred.

Finance and wealth can be a tremendous blessing in life. Wealth brings privilege. But wealth and privilege do not automatically bring peace and joy in life.

Verse 17 above speaks to an important aspect of life… what value do you place on harmony and love? I have heard too many stories of wealthy couples who endure an acrimonious divorce, in order to separate. Does it happen to everyone who has wealth?  No, absolutely not. But no amount of money can make those acrimonious situations palatable. I think that is the point of verse 17. Peace, harmony and love in your life and family is a gift that surpasses one's bank account.

The proverb is not suggesting that poverty automatically brings love and peace. There can be tremendous pressure with poverty. But who goes to bed dreaming of becoming poor? No one. And no one aspires to being poor. People do, however, aspire and dream of being wealthy, hence the proverb. It is countering our natural impulses for riches, reminding us that riches do not automatically bring love, peace and harmony.

The question the proverb is asking of me goes like this. Am I striving for more and greater wealth at the expense of quality of life?

If I slip my eyes up one verse, another question comes to mind. Am I striving for more and greater wealth at the expense of my relationship with the Lord? (16: Better a little with the fear of the LORD than great wealth with turmoil.)

Two questions worth pondering…

Lord, thank You for all You have provided for me and my family. We are so blessed by You. Lord, may I never set my eyes on wealth, losing sight of You. You are the greatest gift You have ever given me. Help me keep this perspective. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment