Friday, June 3: Job 19- A ray of hope on a dismal day.

Being outdoorsy types, my family and I have spent many a day camping and hiking.  We have run into most every weather imaginable. Today’s chapter reminds me of those days that are dull, dreary and wet. These are not the best of days, wet feet and ‘wet’ attitudes prevail, but they come with outdoor activity. Every now and then on one of those days, there is a momentary break, a parting of the clouds (sometimes in the distance, sometimes overhead) and sunshine lights up or at least brightens the world for a few moments. Those rays of the sun can produce spectacular images, the most beautiful of which is a rainbow. I recall seeing a magnificent double rainbow in the West once… in the land of big sky we saw both ends of this double rainbow touching the ground.  Most times the sunlight produces lesser wonders,like wet leaves backlit by the wonder of the sun, mists rising over still waters, and then the clouds close and the murkiness of the day returns. The wonder of nature.

Today’s murky chapter is splashed with a few of the most uplifting lines in the Book, some might say the whole of scripture. I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me! (25-27).

Beaten, depressed, upset, moderately judgmental against his friends, confused, Job, too, believes the righteous live blessed lives, and yet he knows his Redeemer. His faith remains intact and solid and what may come in the present, his Redeemer wins and forever stands.  And that no matter what happens to his earthly body, he will see his God!

That’s faith… and that is why God gave Job this assignment in the first place!

I don’t presume to understand God, but I pray that like Job I will cling to the Lord, my Lord, no matter what assignments He gives me.

I am Yours, O Lord, I am Yours. I will, by Your  grace, serve You till the end.  Assign to me whatever tasks best serve and advance Your kingdom. And I mean that, Lord, whatever tasks serve Your purposes! I pray this in the name of Jesus my Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment