Saturday, June 25: Job 38- Who? Do you?

The wisdom of men has spoken.  Now it is God’s turn. Job gets his day in court.

The Lord’s opening salvo sets the tone, "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me (2-3). And with that a series of relentless questions begin. I sit, open-mouthed, as I read God’s response. I don’t think I can even imagine what it must have been like for Job, mano-e-mano with the Lord.

As God’s questions fly, I have the impression of supreme command, yet I feel no sarcasm or belittling of Job, simply an affirmation of who’s who.

As I read the accumulating effect is enormous. “No, no, not me, I don’t know…” are my replies. The picture becomes crystal clear. I am not God, Job is not God. Only God is God!

I leave this morning’s text invigorated with an incredible sense of God’s greatness and my smallness.  I am stunned that One so great would desire to live in relationship with one (me, you…) so small.

The prayer that forms in my heart begins,

“O Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder consider all the worlds Thy hands have made. I see the stars. I hear the rolling thunder. Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, my Savior God to thee.  How great thou art. How great thou are! ...

Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment