Wednesday, June 15: Job 29- What has your life been like?.

As I listened to Job think back to days gone by, a question burst into my thoughts, an intruder by the Holy Spirit I believe. What has my (your) life been like? I sat and pondered what have I done with the days I have already been given?

My days have not been as blessed as Job’s, but that is not the facet of the question that the Spirit needled deep into me. A follow up question that came after I reviewed my life to date was the Spirit’s needle point burrowing deep into my soul, “And what have you done with it?” More specifically, “What good have you done with it?”

The middle section of Job’s life recounting was filled with people helped. With his wealth, wisdom and influence, Job rescued the poor … and the fatherless.  He helped the man who was dying and lifted the widow's heart. He fought for justice, helped the blind and lame  I was a father to the needy; … took up the case of the stranger… broke the fangs of the wicked and snatched the victims from their teeth. (12-17).

In other words, Job used his position, wealth and station in life to do the things of God.  He lived God’s heart on earth.

I asked myself again, “Bill, what have you done with the life you have been given???” A worthy question to ponder this morning with the Lord…

Lord, thank You for life and breath, family and faith. All good gifts come from You. Thank You. Lord, as I consider my life, I see areas in which I lived faithfully.  I pray that how I have lived brought and brings You honor and glory You deserve.

Lord I also see holes and inconsistencies in my life, areas where I remain faithless and selfish, where I have squandered the gifts You have given me. I have used them selfishly rather than in advancing Your kingdom or caring for Your people. Forgive me, Lord, and even more so teach me and renew me that more and more of my life would be fully and faithfully lived for You. In and through Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment