Thursday, June 30: Job 42- What does one say to God?

I wondered what Job would say, if anything, when God finished Job’s cross examination? Now we all know. Then Job replied to the LORD:

"I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. "You said, 'Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.' My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes" (1-6)

Awe and wonder fill me as I listen to Job stammer a response to the Almighty. Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. I try to envision what it must have been like for Job, I flash to what it might be like for me when I meet my Maker face to face. We hear and read of near death stories filled with white light and surrounded by love.  It sounds all nice and fuzzy and warm but we really won’t know until we are there.

My gut resonates with these words from Job’s lips. I have a deep sense within me that when I am face to face with God, I will realize how great God is and how insignificant I am. I suspect that many of my ‘why’ questions will evaporate in the moment when I, too, see and meet God in His wonder and glory. And I suspect that like Job, I will repent for all my wrong thoughts and actions and fall upon the mercy of Jesus, my Savior…

Jesus, I bow before You today recognizing that there is no way I can stand before You, the Spirit and the Father in my own accord. I can only do so dressed in Your mercy, grace and righteousness. Forgive my sins. I pledge my allegiance to You as my Lord, God and Savior. I will serve and follow You all the days of my life.  To You be honor and glory… Amen and Amen.

 

I had a few people ask me why we read Job. First, and most importantly, I read it because it is in the Bible. Every part of the Bible is God inspired and since God put it there, it is of value for those of us who seek to follow God. Secondly, even thought Job can be an exhausting read, it raises questions of human suffering and God’s sovereignty, which are difficult yet important issues to grapple with if we are going to live faithfully following Jesus. I hope that helps answer the question.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment