Wednesday, June 1: Job 17- Clinging to faith.

Despair rolls over Job like storm waves upon a beach.  Yet in these dark days, Job holds on to God. His grip may seem weak but he clings to the Lord, nonetheless.

My spirit is broken, my days are cut short, the grave awaits me. Surely mockers surround me; my eyes must dwell on their hostility. "Give me, O God, the pledge you demand. Who else will put up security for me? …"God has made me a byword to everyone, a man in whose face people spit. My eyes have grown dim with grief; my whole frame is but a shadow. … Nevertheless, the righteous will hold to their ways, and those with clean hands will grow stronger (1-9).

Job’s faith may be reduced to a mere flicker but faith still lives. God remains the only one who “will put up security” for him. Job knows his tragedies have passed through the hands of God, and yet he holds to his faith in God.

It is important to note what Job has not done; he has not cursed God, abandoned God or ‘spit’ in God’s face. Faith continues to flicker, weak as it may be.

There is something to be said for the person who holds to faith in the Lord despite the tragedies and circumstances of life. Many turn and run from God during times of heartache, not Job.  In that he stands as an example to me, to all of us, imperfect though he is, misguided in some of his understanding about God that he may be, Job continues hold his faith in the Lord.

O, God, give me a faith that holds and never lets go.  That is my plea. Good times, when I am tempted to trust in myself, may I hold to You and honor You above all as the Rock of my salvation and Giver of all good gifts.

When difficult times come, Lord, and I am tempted to throw in the towel and give up on You for all the wrong and selfish reasons, give me strength and tenacity to keep holding on to You and never let go.  This, too, is my plea. For You alone saves and I pledge my allegiance to You and You alone, Holy and Almighty God –Father Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment